School Entry Requirements
The State Immunization Board determines immunization requirements for school entry. Immunization records should be presented to the school staff at the time of enrollment. Please communicate promptly with school staff if your child has not completed the required immunizations.
Tuberculosis (TB) Testing
The Board of Education recognizes that tuberculosis poses a public health threat. Treatment of active cases of this disease is the most effective means of controlling its spread. The County Public Health Officer requires tuberculosis screening, and follow-up if appropriate, before students enter school. All students entering the school district must provide proof of a recent TB risk assessment or testing if indicated.
School Entry Requirements (as of July 1, 2019)
Students Admitted to TK/K - 12 Need:
- Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (DTaP, DTP, Tdap, or Td) - 5 doses
- 4 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday
- 3 doses OK if one was given on or after 7th birthday
- For 7-12th graders, at least 1 dose of pertussis-containing vaccine is required on or after 7th birthday.
- Polio (OPV or IPV) - 4 doses
- 3 doses OK if one was given on or after 4th birthday
- Hepatitis B - 3 doses
- Not required for 7th grade entry
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) - 2 doses
- Both given on or after 1st birthday
- Varicella (Chickenpox) - 2 doses
These immunization requirements apply to new admissions and transfers for all grades, including transitional kindergarten.
Students Starting 7th Grade Need:
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap) - 1 dose
- Whooping cough booster usually given at 11 years and up
- Varicella (Chickenpox) - 2 doses
- Usually given at ages 12 months and 4-6 years
In addition, the TK/K-12 immunization requirements apply to 7th graders who;
- previously had a valid personal beliefs exemption field before 2016 upon entry between TK/Kindergarten and 6th grade
- are new admissions.
California schools are required to check immunization records for all new student admissions at TK/Kindergarten through 12th grade and all students advancing to 7th grade before entry. Parents must show their child's Immunization Record as proof of immunization.
To make appointments for immunizations or learn more about specific requirements contact the San Luis Public Health Department at 805-781-5500 or visit www.shotsforschool.org .
Starting July 1, 2019, a parent or guardian must submit a signed, written statement from a physician (MD or DO) licensed in California which states:
- The specific nature of the physical condition or medical circumstance of the child for which a licensed physician does not recommend immunization.
- Each specific required vaccine that is being exempted.
- Whether the medical exemption is permanent or temporary.
- If the exemption is temporary, an expiration date no more than 12 calendar months from the date of signing.
FIRST GRADE CHECK-UP REQUIREMENT
Your child is required to have a health check-up sometime during the 18 months before entering first grade. You may wish to have this done when getting boosters for kindergarten entrance. Some lower income families can obtain boosters and the check-up free or at reduced cost. Information is available in the office.
ORAL HEALTH CHECK-UP
Your child is required to have a dental check-up by May 31 of his/her first year in public school. Please ask your dentist to complete the Oral Health Assessment form and return to our office. If your child had a dental check-up in the 12 months before he/she started school, ask you dentist to fill out Section 2.